Monday 4 February 2013

It Really Is Richard III then.


I'm sure you've all heard the news...

This morning, the archaeological team at Leicester University announced the results from their testing of human remains found at the Greyfriars archaeological excavation.

They've found Richard III.

It's all here on the BBC news website. Exciting hmm? At the very least from an archaeological perspective. The archaeologists have been able to look at skeletal evidence alongside DNA from one of his living relatives - the detailed analysis allowed the archaeological team at Leicester to conclude that yep, it was indeed Richard III. I have to say, I'd be very interested to see a facial reconstruction!

Anyway, have a bit of fun. Here's Richard, trying to convince everyone he's actually a nice guy...



There's a documentary on at 9pm this evening, on channel 4 which I shall certainly be watching (bit obsessed with osteoarchaeology, so veeery excited to see the skeletal analysis and the facial reconstruction). I'll be the first to admit that I'm not really all that excited over the whole Richard III thing, however as a (sort of) archaeologist, the implications of this are huge. What I would have given to be part of that excavation isn't even worth listing, because it would be literally everything I own. Except my violin. Because that's my baby. I'm going to stop rambling now.

Please do check out the documentary tonight on Channel 4, and read some of the excellent blogs that have been written today on this news, like this one by MadameGuillotine. Oh, and if you're looking for a good book on Richard, please do check out "The Man Behind the Myth" by Michael Hicks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to both spam and some rather nasty individuals all comments will be moderated.