Sunday 12 August 2012

Happy Birthday George IV


George IV is my latest historical love. I blame Horrible Histories - yes, I am 24 years old and watch kids shows about history. I am totally not sorry. ANYWAY, George IV was awesome, even though people kind of hated him. And today is his birthday!

Born on 12th August 1762, George IV would end up being regent for his father for many years. Why? Because George III was a little bit loopy. Anyway, when his father died in 1820, the Prince Regent finally ascended to the throne. He was 57 years old!

As of yet, I don't know a huge amount about George IV. Opinion seems divided on him, but after the small amount of reading I've done on the guy I kind of like him. He seems to be ostentatious, loved his food and a guy who liked to party. And after listening to rexfactorpod's fabulous podcast on him I have to say, he would get along fabulously with Charles II!

I have a few books on their way about George IV, and I have to say I am super excited to start learning more about him. So expect a lot more about him, which by the way will probably end up with me flailing about how much I love him. Kind of like how I already do with Charles II...

Oh, and have a video of George IV singing about his reign. It's all kinds of awesome.


1 comment:

  1. MAJOR love! <3 He was amazing man! He has a lot in common with Henry VIII as well as Charles II :D

    ReplyDelete

Due to both spam and some rather nasty individuals all comments will be moderated.